UTM Tracking Code in Google Analytics
UTM Tracking Code is a code structure that attaches to a custom URL to track a source, medium, or campaign name. These parameters are added to the URL in order to help your business track performance of campaigns in google analytic reports. For example, they allow you can use manual triggers to track people coming in from an email campaign. This can be done by setting the utm_medium parameter to email.
What Are The Components of a UTM Tracking Code?
There are five components: utm_source, utm_medium, utm_campaign, utm_term, utm_content.
- utm_source: identifies advertiser, site, publication, etc. (Google, newsletter, billboard, etc.)
- utm_medium: the advertising or marketing medium. (CPC, banner, email newsletter)
- utm_campaign: individual campaign name, slogan, promo code, etc.
- utm_term: identify paid search keywords.
- utm_content: differentiate similar content or links within the same ad.
The require required parameters are source, medium, and campaign. While, the optional parameters are term and content.